Education is the key to a bright future for Queensland children and the government is investing strongly in education to give our children the flying start they deserve.
A package of reforms is currently being delivered to give children the boost they need at critical stages of their education, particularly during the early years and in the transition to high school.
Below are some resources for parents and carers which may assist with the various stages of education.
Getting ready for school
- What should you consider when deciding where to send your child to school? Check out Education Queensland’s handy guide.
- The Internet offers a world of educational resources to help children strengthen and consolidate their literacy, numeracy and other knowledge.
- For more specific assistance with literacy for students in Prep to Year 2, why not check out the Out and About mobile app.
- Parents and carers may find this directory useful for information about starting school and what to expect at school.
Getting ready for high school
- Prep as the first year of school (PDF, 323 KB) – accessible version (DOC, 23KB)
- Reforming education in Queensland (PDF, 302 KB) – accessible version (DOC, 20KB)
- Why Year 7 is moving to high school (PDF, 248 KB) – accessible version (DOC, 20KB)
- Year 7 and the Australian Curriculum (PDF, 253 KB) – accessible version (DOC, 17KB)
- Junior Secondary in state high schools (PDF, 265KB) – accessible version (DOC, 18KB)
- Introducing Junior Secondary (PDF, 234KB) – accessible version (DOC, 16KB)
- Support for rural and remote students (PDF, 207KB) – accessible version (DOC, 20KB)
- Information for state school staff (PDF, 314KB) – accessible version (DOC, 23KB)
- Teaching in Junior Secondary (PDF, 762KB) – accessible version (DOC, 14KB)
Information for state school staff
The department has given careful consideration to the implications for staff in Queensland state schools as a result of Year 7 moving to high school in 2015. The following information provides an overview of the how the transition will be managed.
- Primary School Teachers (PDF, 141KB) – accessible version (DOC, 575KB)
- Teacher Aides (PDF, 121KB) – accessible version (DOC, 571KB)
- Classified Staff in Primary Schools (PDF, 86KB) – accessible version (DOC, 429KB)
- Administrative and Operational Officers (PDF, 86KB) – accessible version (DOC, 429KB)
- 2015 Workforce Transition Overview (PDF, 126KB) – accessible version (DOC, 576KB)
Flying Start resources
The A Flying Start for Queensland Children discussion paper - or the 'Flying Start Green Paper' (PDF, 1MB) - was released in February 2010 and helped inform the education reforms currently taking place.
The A Flying Start for Queensland Children White Paper (PDF, 500KB) was released in 2011 with three primary objectives - getting ready for school, getting ready for high school and boosting the performance of all schools.